1. A federal judge in San Francisco declares that the U.S. Constitution requires gay marriage and declares unconstitutional Prop. 8, California’s voter-approved affirmation of traditional marriage. In his ruling, Judge Walker lashed out against religious beliefs and moral standards.
2. California’s Governor and Attorney General refused to defend Prop. 8, even though state law required them to do so. PJI filed suit seeking to require them to fulfill their statutory duties.
3. In a case from San Francisco, the U.S. Supreme Court rules that Christian groups at public universities cannot require that their leaders believe in and practice Christianity.
4. Just before Easter, the City of Rancho Cucamonga, CA, attempted to shut down a home Bible study, while leaving alone similar gatherings for non-religious reasons. The city reversed course after PJI intervened.
5. Atheists threaten legal action against the Southern California City of Ontario after it posted the national motto in city council chambers. After PJI offered to defend the city at no charge, the atheists did not sue.
6. A school district in Vallejo, CA, attempts to require all students—beginning in kindergarten—to undergo pro-homosexual indoctrination. PJI is representing parents.
7. A federal judge in Massachusetts strikes down Defense of Marriage Act. PJI is filing an amicus brief in the Court of Appeals.
8. The federal government takes over the health care system with one of the most massive and intrusive pieces of legislation in U.S. history. PJI files suit in federal court.
9. Congress refuses to act to allow the citizens of the District of Columbia to vote on how to define marriage.